Sunday, April 14, 2024


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are tours of the landfill available?

A: Yes.  Please call 1-800-326-9571 to schedule your group.

Q:  Who provides assistance with recycling of mercury containing devices?

A:  PADEP provides a no cost collection of mercury containing devices from individuals, school districts and non-profit organizations.  They should contact Tom Mears at the North Central Regional Office in Williamsport by phone at 570-327-3722 or by email at  Tom is the Environmental Emergency Response Manager and will provide information on how the device should be packaged and specifics on collection.  For mercury containing thermostats there is a non-profit organization that coordinates their collection.  Contact information can be found at

Q: How can paint be disposed of?

A: Leave the container open so the paint may harden. Kitty litter, sand, sawdust, etc. can be used to help accelerate this process.  Once the paint is non-flowable or hardened, reseal the can then dispose of in trash.

Q: How do I dispose of fluorescent light bulbs?

A: The EPA now considers them to be hazardous waste unless the manufacturer supplies TCLP data to prove otherwise.  Please contact Donald Hassenplug at 1-800-326-9571 for additional information.

See attached article for additional information:  (The Dark Side of Green Bulbs)

Industry may contact Veolia Environmental Services for recycling options at:

Homeowners may contact Schaedler Yesco at 570-321-0440 for disposal information and pricing.

Q: What do I do with my old un-interruptable power supply batteries?

A: They can be recycled, free of charge, with auto batteries at the landfill.

Q: What do I do with my telephone books?

A: Place them in the magazine container at one of our recycling drop off sites.

Q: How do I dispose of smoke detectors?

Click here for information.


Copyright 2007 by